Today, the Manor House is probably regarded as the most beautiful private home in Bramcote. The exact age of the building is unclear, having been dated as early as Elizabethan and as late as post Civil War.
The manor of Bramcote was in the possession of the Hanley family from 1564 until 1650. Their coat of arms (granted in 1612) are carved in the wood panelling in the sitting room of the house. This might indicate that they lived here but we cannot be sure, as it could have been brought from the old church. The photo below shows the Hanley family coat of arms which is displayed today in St Michael’s Church
Succeeding families to live in the Manor House were the Sherwins and Longdens who relocated to their new home of Bramcote Hills House in 1805. This property then became a rented farmhouse and photographs show it looking rather dilapidated by the start of the 20th Century.
By 1919 the owner of the farm was Ernest Frank Holden, a descendant of the Sherwins, and the property was one of 70 lots offered for sale. Described as “a valuable mixed dairy farm together with old fashioned residence and extensive range of farm buildings” plus 156 acres, it was purchased by Elias Joule for £6000.
In the 1920s, Fred Mitchell and others bought the Manor House and its extensive estate and resold the house itself but kept most of the acreage to create the Beeston Fields Golf Course.
In recent times the succession of private owners have renovated this beautiful building, but please note that it stands in a small private estate with no access for the general public.